How to Start A Workers’ Compensation Claim

how to start a workers' comp claim

If you get hurt while at your job, you will want to file a workers’ compensation claim so you can get money for lost wages, medical care, etc. But how?

Step 1: Tell Your Boss

The first step is to tell your supervisor, manager, or whoever your regular boss is that you’re hurt. Let them know exactly what happened: where you were, when, and how you got injured. If something happened and you thought you were ok but then realized you were injured, go to your boss as soon as you figure it out. If you have an occupational disease and a doctor tells you that you have the disease because of your job, go to your boss right away and tell them so you can start the process of getting treated and getting the claim filed.

If you need emergency medical care and can’t talk with your boss right away, tell the EMTs, emergency room staff, or hospital staff and then tell your boss when you’re able to.

Step 2: See Your Doctor

Unless you need emergency medical care, you’ll probably be offered a choice of a few doctors by your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company. Choose one of those doctors and see them for treatment. If you’re not offered doctors, you can find your own. The doctor will assess your injury and figure out the treatment you need for it. Their goal, like your goal, is to get better and be able to go back to work.

If you need emergency care, call an ambulance or go to the nearest emergency room.

Step 3: Call HammondTownsend

Next step, tell HammondTownsend. Call 888-580-9048 for a free workers’ compensation consultation by HammondTownsend. You’ll have a phone consultation so we can get the first details. If we choose to work together, HammondTownsend does the actual filing of the claim for you. We do all of the hard work of filling out the paperwork for the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission and for your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company, so you can focus on healing.

After your initial consultation, you’ll talk with your attorney and/or paralegal, as necessary. Your attorney, along with the paralegal assigned to your case, will keep you updated as necessary on how things are going for your claim. You can send them any paperwork you get and will be able to contact them to have your questions answered. This blog also has numerous articles that might be helpful for you as you go through the workers’ compensation claim process.

Have you been injured on the job? Call HammondTownsend.

With over 45 years of combined experience handling Workers’ Compensation claims, our attorneys have recovered over $3 Billion for injured workers. As an exclusive injured workers law firm, our team fights for the compensation you deserve!

We are THE Virginia Workers’ Compensation Law Firm. Serving injured workers across the state of Virginia: Northern Virginia, Richmond, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, and Hampton Roads.

Contact us for a FREE case evaluation.

Scroll to Top